Picture: the solid tower of the Saint-Quentin's church of Oostkerke .
» Village windmill
» Mengé windmill
» Saint-Quintens church
» Canal "Damse Vaart"
» Castle Ryckevelde
» Castle of Moerkerke
» Altena castle
Location: Spegelsweg, 8340 Oostkerke [gps]
We have a first reference of a
stronghold in Oostkerke (a stone donjon) around the year 1300. A real
court is not mentioned until 1358 and the oldest parts of the current castle are
a remainder of the 14th century fortification. At that time it consisted
of a upper court and a lower court that were both surrounded by a ditch and a
wall, additionally protected by round towers on the corners. This can
still be clearly seen in the garden of the castle.
Since the 16th century, the castle had a lot to endure: occupations, pillages and arsonism. At the end of WWII, the region was flooded, completely ruining the gardens of the chateau. Furthermore, the German occupators removed the woodwork from the castle which seriously weakened the structure of the building, that was in the meantime not much more than a ruin. The property was bought by baron van der Elst just before the Second World War. He had the castle thoroughly renovated. The result of this renovation can be admired today.
A bridge over the ditch and two impressive 14th century round towers give access to the domain. Behind the gateway lies according to some on of the most beautiful gardens of the province. Afther the flooding in WWII, baron van der Elst asked landscape architect Mien Ruys to redesign the garden. This garden consists of several separated gardens such as an enclosed innergarden, a maria garden and a rosary. The overall combines perfectly with the surrounding meadows. During the shaping of the garden, the foundations of the medieval castle were found. These foundations have been incoporated in the garden as footpaths.
The domain is private property and not accessible to the public.
© Hendrik De Leyn - www.damme-online.com