Picture: market square of Bruges
» Abbey of Ter Doest
» Castle of Middelburg
» Fort of Bavaria
Adegem is part of Maldegem. The village is situated at some km from Damme's territory, but is worth mentioning, especially because of its old church. The settlement Adegem is not very young; it already was mentioned in the days of St.-Amandus (+/- 638 - 678). The village's name (be it then as 'Addingahem') is first recorded in a donation to the abbey of St.-Pieters of Ghent. A little river crossed the village. This stream also crossed Aardenburg and mouthed in the sea near Combescura (Lapscheure). The village was part of "het Brugse Vrije" untill the end of the 18th century (see: Bruges).
The tower of St.-Adrians church is said to date back to the 12th century and is the only remnant of the romanesque cross-church that stood here. At the end of the 16th century, the church was destroyed by fire. During the 2 following centuries the building was restored.
Unfortunately, Adegem is better known for not so pleasant events. On 12 September 1944 Adegem was liberated by Canadian soldiers. However, on the banks of the Schipdonkkanaal (just as in Moerkerke), the Germans resisted heavily. Many found their last resting place on Adegem's territory. In 1945, a Canadian War Cemetary was constructed. Every year, a memorial takes place for those who got killed in battle. There also is a Canadian War Museum in Adegem.
Worth seeing: war museum, Canadian war cemetary, gardens complex and St.-Adrianuschurch.
© Hendrik De Leyn - www.damme-online.com